Cheboygan Opera House
Virtual brochure and information for the Cheboygan Opera House, one of many online travel brochures for tourist information in Cheboygan, MI. Provided by your source for Mackinaw Information and Mackinac Information.
403 North Huron Street
P.O. Box 95
Cheboygan, MI 49721
The Opera House, originally constructed in 1877, played an important role in the history of the colorful lumbering era in Northern Michigan. Twice ravages by fires and rebuilt in 1888 and 1903, the facility now harmoniously houses its original combination of City Hall, Police Department, Fire Department, and the 582 seat Opera House.
In 1984, after having been closed for some twenty years, the elegantly restored Opera House re-opened its doors to the public once more. Managed by the Cheboygan Area Arts Council, with the support of the Michigan Council for Arts and Cultural Affairs, this acoustically superb, Victorian theatre has become the focal point for entertainment and the performing arts in the Straits of Mackinac area and beyond.
Open all year, The Opera House presents an outstanding variety of live performances. Audiences have enjoyed such attractions as The Detroit Symphony Orchestra, The Grand Rapids Symphony, The Northwood Orchestra, The Kingston Trio, Donny and Marie Osmund, Roy Clark, Florence Henderson, The Indianapolis Ballet Theatre, The Michigan Opera Theatre and many other exciting productions of both national and international renown. It is also used extensively by local community theatre groups such as The Rivertown Follies and the Northland Players, in addition to being used for workshops, seminars, business meetings, art and dance classes, educational programming and rentals. The Opera House is a member of The League of Historic American Theatres and the Association for Performing Arts Presenters.
The Opera House offers an ample choice of seating, all with an excellent view of the performers on stage. Please refer to this seating plan when making inquiries at the Box Office.
Guided tours are offered.