Cross in the Woods
Virtual brochure and information for Cross in the Woods, one of many online travel brochures for tourist information in Indian River, MI. Provided by your source for Mackinaw Information and Mackinac Information.
Indian River, MI 49749
Phone: 231-238-8973 (Parish/Shrine Offices)
Phone: 231-238-8973 (Shrine Gift Shop)
Fax: 231-238-7012 (Parish/Shrine)
…a Monumental Artwork
…a Lasting Memory
Join us for Worship, Year round:
Saturday: 4:30 p.m.
Sunday: 8:30 a.m. (indoor) and 10:30 a.m.
Mon. thru Fri.: 8:30 a.m. & Noon
Interesting Statistics About The Cross
|1953||-||Redwood tree cut down in the mountains of Oregon|
|1954||-||Cross is 55 feet high, 22 feet wide|
|1959||-||Corpus (or body) designed by Marshall Fredericks was cast in bronze at a foundry in Norway, weighs 7 tons, 28 feet head to toe, outstretched arms span 21 feet.|
|1992||-||Corpus was cleaned and Cross repainted beige to emphasize the bronze corpus|
|2009||-||Restoration of Cross and Corpus|
The Cross in the Woods Shrine/Parish has attracted millions of visitors from around the world. It is one of Michigan’s best known and loved monuments. The Cross in the Woods had its origin in 1946. Inspired by Kateri Tekakwitha, founding Pastor Msgr. Charles D. Brophy envisioned the huge wooden cross as the center piece for an outdoor sanctuary. In 1954 the Cross, made from a Redwood tree was erected. Renowned Michigan sculptor, Marshall M. Fredericks created a bronze image of the crucified Jesus which was raised into place in 1959 to complete the Crucifix. We cordially invite and welcome people of every faith to spend some time at our Shrine - a place of peace, prayer and pilgrimage.
THE RESURRECTED CHRIST
Visit the “Way of the Cross” and reflect on the fourteen Stations depicting Jesus’ suffering, death and resurrection.
OUR LADY OF THE HIGHWAY
The statue of Our Lady of the Highway, carved from Italian Carrara marble, was a gift to the Shrine in 1957. It was originally placed in the center of the front yard near the highway for all the travelers to see. She has become the patroness of travelers and pilgrims.
THE CANCER SAINT
St. Peregrine was a Servite Friar who lived in the 13th century in Forti, Italy. His life was remarkable chiefly for two events, an extraordinary conversion in his youth and a miraculous cure of cancer later in life. St. Peregrine’s intercession has been sought over the years by countless victims of cancer and AIDS. Thousands have experienced consolation and strength in their time of illness by asking for his prayers.
THE HOLY FAMILY
Entitled A Quiet Moment, this statue has been called a visual prayer reflecting the strong message of family values. Timothy P. Schmalz, Canadian-Christian sculptor, hopes to show the gift of family intimacy in a very special way, reflected in the Holy Family; Joseph, Mary & Jesus.
BLESSED KATERI TEKAKWITHA
The bronze statue of Kateri Tekakwitha, as depicted by renowned Canadian sculptor Timothy P. Schmalz, was placed on the grounds during the summer of 2001. Kateri, called the “Lily of the Mohawks” was born in 1656 in upstate New York. A convert to Christianity at age eighteen, she endured much suffering because of her desire to live a celibate and Christian lifestyle. Kateri was forced to flee to Canada to a mission that the Jesuit’s had established for Native American converts. She was noted for her deep prayer life and a special devotion to the Eucharist. Kateri died at the age of twenty-four and was declared a Blessed by Pope John Paul II in 1980. It was the practice of this Indian maiden to erect crosses in the woods. In this scene Kateri appears to be walking out of the woods, but gazes back at the Cross, her inspiration, one more time. The turtles on the base of the statue remind us that her father was a Mohawk Chief belonging to the Turtle Clan. The statue is dedicated to the founder of the Shrine and Parish, Msgr. Charles D. Brophy.
ST. FRANCIS OF ASSISI
This scene of St. Francis of Assisi, sculpted by James Hopfenspergr, of Midland, MI in 1994 depicts an early event in his life. Searching for a direction for his newly formed Religious Order of Friars Minor, Francis was praying in an abandoned and neglected church building. There the Lord spoke to Francis from the Cross saying, “Francis, repair my church.” Thereafter, Francis and his followers traveled throughout Italy and Europe preaching penance and peace to a fragmented society.
Francis has become one of the best known and loved of the saints. He is also the patron of ecology. His life and preaching has become timeless. Franciscans have become one of the largest religious and secular orders of men and women in the Church carrying Francis’ spirit and message throughout the world.
Marshal Fredericks, sculptor of the bronze corpus wanted to portray Christ in a peaceful way. It was his intention to “give the face an expression of great peace and strength and offer encouragement to everyone who viewed the Cross.” Christ is symbolized just at the moment He commends Himself to His Father.
To the right of the Kateri statue, the Canticle/Meditation Walk begins. Placed along the walkway, which winds through the wooded area, is the Canticle of The Sun written by St. Francis of Assisi. Although it was written almost 800 years ago, it is still a very relevant reflection for today.
For the first 50 years of the Shrine’s existence, praying before the Cross, the center-piece of our Shrine/parish, was only possible during favorable weather. The envisioned dream of a new indoor worship space, seating almost 1000, with a year round view of the Cross came to fruition on June 29, 1997 when the new sanctuary was dedicated. Visitors and parishioners made our dream a reality with their generous gifts.
Believed to be the largest of its kind in the United States, you will see over 525 dolls dressed in the garb of religious orders of men and women who served in Catholic ministry in our country.
This is a unique exhibit that will be enjoyed by all the members of your family.
THE GIFT SHOP
The Cross In The Woods Gift Shop offers the largest selection of religious medals, pictures, rosaries, inspirational reading and other items of interest in northwest Michigan. It is open daily during the summer, and has limited hours during the winter. The Shrine has had a gift shop on the grounds of the Shrine almost since its beginning. Travelers and pilgrims who visit the Shrine look forward to visiting the Shop.