Virtual brochure and information for Legs Inn, one of many online travel brochures for tourist information in Cross Village, MI. Provided by your source for Mackinaw Information and Mackinac Information.
6425 Lake Shore Drive
P.O. Box 157
Cross Village, MI 49723
Famous destination & restaurant
Authentic Polish & American Cuisine
Unique gifts & souvenirs
Scenic outdoor garden dining
100 Beer choices & love music
Legs Inn is a "monument to nature" listed as a State of Michigan Historic Landmark. Built on a high bluff overlooking Lake Michigan, it is unique and mysterious as seen in its architecture and décor.
Family owned and operated for over 80 years, Legs Inn is a famous tourist destination, acknowledged by major magazines, TV and radio stations, newspapers, tour groups and guests from around the world.
This stone and timber landmark was created over a period of several decades by one man, Polish immigrant Stanly Smolak. He fell in love with Northern Michigan and its people, many of the Ottawa and Chippewa Indians, and decided to settle in Cross Village in 1921.
A unique blend of “Old World” European and Native American cultures creates a truly unforgettable experience.
The dining rooms, tavern, balcony and game parlors are filled with an intriguing collection of nature and hand-carved furniture. Whimsical creations made of tree stumps, twisted limbs and roots, natural sculptures of driftwood and several huge stone fireplaces are found throughout the complex.
"Even if you’ve traveled far and wide, it’s doubtful you’ve ever encountered anything like LEGS INN. Part ethnic restaurant, part eclectic folk display, this is a weird and fascinating place to explore. Every square inch has been carved into fanciful shapes, faces and indescribably animals... it offers a wonderful array of Polish cooking…the staff will smile and nod and feed you like a long lost relative." - Moon Travel Handbook
Unique Dining Experience
Legs Inn offers "Old World" hospitality and expertly prepared homemade lunches, dinners or "something in between." Authentic Polish cuisine is our specialty. A variety of delicious American dishes, as well as our famous broiled or smoked Great Lakes Whitefish, are served. The dining rooms at Legs Inn, with their panoramic views of Lake Michigan, afford visitors with a unique dining experience.
"Here is a restaurant that dishes out beauty, peace and history along with wonderful authentic Polish and American cuisine... one of north Michigan’s most popular attractions." - The Insider’s Guide to Michigan’s Traverse Bay Region.
Garden Dining & Sunsets
During the summer months, casual dining extends into the beautiful outdoor gardens and patio. Take a relaxing stroll through the lush floral landscape while enjoying a favorite wine, beer or cocktail.
Catch a glimpse of one of the many historic Michigan lighthouses or simply lounge on a wooden swing perched high atop the bluff’s edge. The magnificent panoramic views and spectacular sunsets over Lake Michigan are worth the trip alone.
Tavern & Lounge
Over 100 varieties of beer from around the world and from America’s finest microbreweries are offered. Or choose from an extensive selection of after-dinner cordials, spirits and wine. Legs Inn is also known for its exceptional selection of imported Polish vodkas and meads.
The tavern boasts a variety of peculiarities: authentic hand-carved totem poles, stuffed black bears, moose, deer, boar, owls and raccoons. And most notably, the giant bear is carved from the massive trunk of a hemlock tree.
Live Music & Entertainment
On most weekends during the peak season, live music and entertainment - for your dancing or listening pleasure - is offered for fans of all ages in our lounge or scenic outdoor gardens.
Legs Inn also hosts a variety of special events throughout the summer season, from fundraisers to art fairs to festivals.
Gift Shop & Souvenirs
The Gift Shop offers a wide range of unique souvenirs. Everything from inlaid wooden decorative plates and authentic Polish dolls to handcrafted amber jewelry and porcupine quill boxes.
A variety of handcrafted Polish decorative wooden eggs are also offered, as well as unique Legs Inn postcards, T-shirts and other gifts. Many of our gifts are imported from Poland or made by local Native American artists.
Rustic housekeeping cottages are located in a natural wooded area, with a private sandy beach and the crystal clear waters of beautiful Lake Michigan. Each freestanding unit consists of a living room, two bedrooms, a fully-equipped dining/kitchen area and bathroom with shower or bath. World-class golf, fishing and numerous attractions, such as Mackinac Island and Harbor Springs, are all a short drive from historic Legs Inn. The natural surroundings are ideal for a relaxing vacation away from crowded resorts and cities.
What others have to say...
- Visit Legs Inn and "Taste the Difference"
- Selected by members of TRAVELOCITY.com from over 40,000 entries as: Top 10 Hot Spot "Local Secrets, Big Finds" in the state of Michigan
- Chosen by readers as "Best Family Restaurant" - The Graphic
- Chosen by readers as: "Best Restaurant to Impress Visitors" - Northern Express
- "The pinnacle of rustic folk architecture in Michigan... the food is Polish home cooking, the equal of Hamtramck or Chicago’s favorite Polish restaurants." - Hunts’ Highlights
- "Given all the bars and nightclubs I’ve been to in New York, there aren’t any with caribou on the walls or open-jawed bears propped in the corner." - USA Today
- "(Others) can’t touch the Northwoods glory of Legs Inn... you get authentic Polish food prepared from scratch... the architecture alone, sort of log-cabin-meets-Maurice-Sendak, makes dinner worth a trip." - Mens’ Journal
- "...a fun place with overtones of fairyland or a haven for gnomes." - Country Roads of Michigan
- "Legs Inn serves a light at the end of the Tunnel of Trees M-119." - The Grand Rapids Press
- "Walking into Legs Inn is a unique and interesting experience, as the eclectic and outrageous bombard your senses." - Michigan Destinations
- "...some of the best Polish food…is served in a rustic setting." - Family Adventure Guide
- "Locals and visitors enjoy curiosities and delicious Polish food." -Taste of Home
LEGS INN, in historic Cross Village, is just a short drive from Mackinaw City, Harbor Springs, Petoskey, Cheboygan and I-75.
LEGS INN is located at the end of scenic M-119 "Tunnel of Trees" (Heritage Hwy.)
From Mackinaw City: via I-75/US-31, then right on C-66 (Levering Rd.)
From Harbor Springs: via M-119 or C-77 (State Rd.)
From Cheboygan: via C-66 (Levering Rd.)
From I-75: Exit 326, C-66 (Levering Rd.) then 20 miles west
OPEN SEASONALLY from mid-May to mid-October
Serving Lunch and Dinner daily.