Virtual brochure and information for Quincy Mine, one of many online travel brochures for tourist information in Hancock, MI. Provided by your source for Mackinaw Information and Mackinac Information.
Quincy Mine Hoist Association
Hancock, MI 49930
Underground Mine Tours, Museum and Tram Ride
Quincy Mine National Historic Landmark District
Keweenaw Heritage Site
The Copper Rush
In 1843, six years before the California Gold Rush, one of the nation’s first mineral rushes occurred here. Prospectors came to the Keweenaw not for gold, but for copper. As the United States entered the Industrial Revolution, the demand for copper increased. The Keweenaw contained a wealth of pure elemental copper.
Mine workers pose in front of the old #2 Shafthouse
A Company Called Old Reliable
Established in 1848, Quincy Mining Company was an early mine in the Portage Lake area. Quincy’s hope for wealth was a copper bearing rock called the Pewabic Lode. The Civil War increased the demand of copper for munitions and allowed the Quincy Mining Company to grow. Though ups and downs occurred in production and prices, Quincy had become the second largest mine in the Lake Superior region by the late 1880s. From 1862 to 1920, Quincy paid dividends to investors, earning the nickname "Old Reliable." Immigrants from across the world came for the jobs that copper mining provided. The city of Hancock grew to provide services for the miners. Labor unrest in 1913 and the rise of strip mining for copper in other locations started Quincy’s slow decline. After nearly 100 years, mining operations ceased in 1945.
Preserving the Past
The Quincy Mine Hoist Association formed as a non-profit organization in 1961 to preserve the mining structures and technology and educate visitors about the site. Quincy Mine was designated a National Historic Landmark in 1989 and in 1992 became a partner with Keweenaw National Historical Park. The Association manages a key component of the park’s Quincy Unit.
Ruins of the No. 7 Boiler house are preserved at the Quincy Mine.
Deep in the Earth
At its maximum depth, Quincy’s No. 2 shaft reached 9,260 feet on the incline into the earth. Moving men, ore and water out of the mine required innovation and engineering. Today’s visitors explore a 2,400 foot section of the seventh level to see what life was like for mine workers and learn about the changes in mining processes through history. Since the mine stopped operating, all 85 levels below the seventh level have filled with water.
A guide shows how miners removed copper ore from the rock.
Pride of the Company
To transport men into and ore out of the deepest levels of the mine, Quincy Mining Company commissioned construction of the Nordberg Steam Hoist in 1918. As the world’s largest steam hoist, it represented the success and power of the company to workers and investors. The hoist and its reinforced concrete building with brick veneer and Italian tiled walls, cost over $370,000 but was used for only eleven years.
The Nordberg Steam Hoist fills the cavernous space of the hoist house.
Quincy Mine Association Membership
The Quincy Mine properties are owned and operated by the Quincy Mine Hoist Association, Inc., a not-for-profit, 501(C)(3) corporation. The association exists to educate the public and preserve the Quincy Mine Site. Memberships are available. Inquire at the Gift Shop or contact the association by phone or mail. Members receive significant discounts on mine tours and gift shop purchases.
Enjoying your visit
Visitor Information - A Keweenaw National Historic Park information desk is located in the entrance to the Quincy Mine Gift Shop. Information is available on park activities and area attractions.
Season and Hours - Open: Friday through Sunday from the end of April to mid June and daily from mid June to late October. Hours 9:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Last tour leaves at 5:00 p.m.
Guided Tours and Fees
Full Tour (Includes Underground Mine and Tram Ride)
Surface Tour Only
Group Rates are available in advance. Contact the Quincy Mine Hoist Association for more information.
Gift Shop - Features geology specimens, Copper Country gifts, books, videos and items related to the Northwoods.
Accessibility - The mine tour and several buildings are accessible to wheelchair users. See list to right.