Visit the History of Eastern Upper Peninsula
Virtual brochure and information for Visit the History of Eastern Upper Peninsula, one of many online travel brochures for tourist information in Hessel, MI. Provided by your source for Mackinaw Information and Mackinac Information.
Eastern U.P. History Consortium
c/o A. Goehring
P.O. Box 271
Hessel, MI 49745
Visit the History of the Eastern Upper Peninsula of Michigan in Museums Large and Small
Father Marquette National Memorial
Overlooking the Straits of Mackinac, the Memorial and 15-station interpretive tail interpret Jacques Marquette, a 17th century French missionary and explorer, and the period of European contact with the Native American inhabitants of the upper Great Lakes region.
Enter from Boulevard Drive, off U.S. 2, one block west of I-75. Open daily 9 a.m. to dusk, Memorial Day weekend through September. Admission is free.
Michigan Department of History, Arts and Libraries and Department of Natural Resources, Straits State Park, St. Ignace, MI 49781. Phone 906-643-8620.
Museum of Ojibwa Culture and Marquette Mission Park
Experience how Ojibwa and Huron Indians and the French lived in the Straits area 300 years ago. The museum shares the culture of the Ojibwa people. A park and exhibits show the French-Indian contact period and how the French Jesuit Missionary Jacques Marquette influenced the Indians’ lives. Archaeologists consider this one of the most important sites in the Midwest. Museum store in Chamber of Commerce building features authentic Native arts and crafts, gifts and educational materials.
In downtown St. Ignace. Open daily Memorial weekend through mid October. After Labor Day closed on Sundays.
Museum of Ojibwa Culture
500-566 N. State St., St. Ignace, MI 49781. Phone 906-643-9161.
Mackinac State Historic Parks
Straits of Mackinac
Fort Mackinac and Mackinac Island State Park on Mackinac Island, and Colonial Michilimackinac, Historic Mill Creek and Old Mackinac Point Lighthouse in Mackinaw City. Rifles fire, cannons boom, fiddles sing and saw blades whir as the sights and sounds of the 18th and 19th centuries come to life through lively demonstrations and reenactments. Authentic and reconstructed buildings, hands-on exhibits, children’s programs, archaeological digs and more. Admission required.
For Mackinac and Mackinac Island State Park are on Mackinac Island. Colonial Michilimackinac and Old Mackinac Point Lighthouse are located at the south side of the Mackinac Bridge. Historic Mill Creek is on M-23 just 5 minutes south of Mackinaw City. Open daily from mid-May to mid-October. Call for rates and hours.
Mackinac State Historic Parks, P.O. Box 873, Mackinaw City, MI 49701. Phone 231-436-4100.
Les Cheneaux Historical Museum
In a log cabin and log addition are displays of artifacts showing the history of Hessel and Cedarville since 1884. Indian crafts, tools from the logging era, photographs and artifacts relating to the frontier life of early settlers, the hotel and tourist periods, and the wooden boat era. Also annually changing exhibits.
Meridian Road, 1 block south of M-134 and M-129 intersection in Cedarville. Open Memorial Day weekend until one week after Labor Day.
Les Cheneaux Historical Association, sponsor of the Annual Antique Wooden Boat Show and Festival of Arts, held on second Saturday of August in Hessel.
P.O. Box 301, Cedarville, MI 49719. 906-484-2821.
Les Cheneaux Maritime Museum
In the 1920’s O.M. Reif Boathouse are displays of vintage boats, marine artifacts, antique outboard motors, historic photos of area boating, and a gift shop. Large addition includes a boat building shop.
On the corner of M-134 and Lake St., 4 blocks east of light in Cedarville. Open Memorial Day weekend and then from Father’s Day weekend until one week after Labor Day. 906-484-3354.
Les Cheneaux Historical Association, P.O. Box 301, Cedarville, MI 49719. Phone 906-484-2821.
DeTour Passage Historical Museum
The museum features displays relating to early marine operations, social and governmental activities, pioneer families, Native American history, churches, schools, businesses and life in the early years of the DeTour area. Prominent among the exhibits is the rare third order classic Fresnel lens which was removed from the DeTour Lighthouse some years ago. Admission is free.
Next to Drummond Island Ferry Dock, 104 Elizabeth St. Open Memorial Day to Labor Day.
DeTour Passage Historical Museum, P.O. Box 111, DeTour, Mi 49725. Phone 906-297-3404.
Drummond Island Historical Museum
A "Hands-On Museum" of history of early settlers, Native American and Finnish artifacts. Fort Drummond display of the British era, marine and sportsman’s exhibits, and a display of the early lumbering era. All housed in our new museum constructed of hand-hewn Drummond Island logs. Free admission.
Approximately 10 miles from ferry dock. Follow the road to the settlement. Memorial Day until the middle of October.
Drummond Island Historical Society, P.O. Box 293, Drummond Island, MI 49726. Phone 906-193-5746.
Pickford Area Historical Museum
The Pickford Area Historical Society is restoring a 1912 hardware building into a museum depicting the arts, culture, and social aspects of this primarily agricultural community. Several books about the area are available as well as extensive oral historys and all editions of the Pickford Clarion. A still evolving photo gallery and exhibits reflect our agricultural and lumbering heritage.
Open from Memorial Day to Labor Day.
P.O. Box 572, Pickford, MI 49774. Phone 906-647-2045 or 647-8533. www.rootsweb.com/home.html
Kinross Heritage Park
The Kinross Heritage Park consists of the main building, that houses early farming, logging and household artifacts, plus a used bookstore and gift shop. A complete military wing is off the main museum. A one-room school, blacksmith shop and the “Caldwell” log home are included on the grounds also. A walk thru the 1/4 mile nature trail and "Granny’s" flower garden will complete your experience. Located on M-80 at exit #378 east off I-75. Open Memorial Day to Labor Day.
Kinross Heritage Society, P.O. Box 34, Kinross, MI 49752. Phone 906-495-5440.
River of History Museum
Sault Ste. Marie
This museum interprets the 8,000 years of history of the St. Mary’s River Valley from her glacial origins to Native American occupation, French fur trade, British expansion, and U.S. creation of state. Using the sounds of history, join the River as she tells her story of the events she has witnessed, people she has met, and changes wrought along her shores and waters. 3 blocks east of the Soo Locks, 209 East Portage Street. Open May 15 to October 15. Closed on all major holidays. Gift shop.
Sault Ste. Marie Foundation for Culture and History, P.O. Box 627, 209 East Portage Ave., Sault Ste. Marie, MI 49783. Phone 906-632-1999. http://history.eup.K12.mi.us/local/river.
Water Street Historic Block
Sault Ste. Marie
Four historic buildings, two of which are National Historic Sites: the home of John Johnston, an early fur trader who married the daughter of prominent LaPointe chief and settled here in 1793, and the home of Henry Rowe Schoolcraft, first Indian Agent assigned to the area. The other two are the home of Bishop Frederick Baraga, an early Jesuit missionary, and the office building of the Kemp Coal Dock company.
Located in the 300 block of East Water Street, on the St. Mary’s River. Turn right at the north end of Ashmun Street. The Johnston House and Schoolcraft office are open in the summer with living-history programming. The other buildings are closed for renovations.
Parks and Recreation Dept., City of Sault Ste. Marie, 325 Court St., Sault Ste. Marie, MI 49783. Phone 906-635-5341. www.sault-sainte-marie.mi.us
Museum Ship Valley Camp
Sault Ste. Marie
The Museum Ship Valley Camp offers more than just a tour of her upper deck! In addition to touring the crew’s quarters, pilots house & engine room the Valley Camp has over 20,000 square feet of exhibit space inside its massive cargo holds. More than 100 exhibits are featured along with original artwork & shipwreck artifacts including the lifeboats from the ill fated freighter Edmund Fitzgerald. Ships store offers books.
Soaring 21 stories over the surrounding landscape, The Tower of History provides a stunning panoramic view of the Soo Locks, St. Mary’s River, & Canadian wilderness. Featured on the lower level is a mini-museum with local Native American exhibits & others explaining regional history! Open mid-May thru October.
Call for current admission rates & hours. Sault Historic Sites, Inc., 501 E Water St., Sault Ste. Marie, MI 49783. Phone 906-632-3685 or 888-744-7867. www.thevalleycamp.com
Chippewa County Historical Society
Sault Ste. Marie
The office of Chippewa County Historical Society houses permanent and rotating exhibits and a research facility. The Historical Society is located in a historic downtown building in Sault Ste. Marie. The Society was established in 1919 and is dedicated to the preservation promotion of local history through exhibits, research, and publication. Artifacts from the Society’s collections are on loan to several museums in the Sault area.
At 115 Ashmun Street, Sault Ste. Marie. Office open year-round, but hours vary. Please call ahead for an appointment.
Chippewa County Historical Society, P.O. Box 342, Sault Ste. Marie, MI 49783. Phone 906-635-7082
Wheels of History Museum
This museum of the Bay Mills and Brimley area is housed in a pre-1905 passenger railcar and caboose. Exhibits include artifacts and photographs of area railroads, schools, early telephones, logging, fishing, and the Bay Mills Townsite. Free admission. Gift shop in the caboose.
At the corner of Depot Street and M-221 in Brimley. Open the third weekend in May to October 15.
Bay Mills-Brimley Historical Research Society, P.O. Box 273, Brimley, MI 49715. Phone 906-248-3665 or 906-248-5469. www.baymillsbrimleyhistory.org
Pt. Iroquois Lightstation
Museum and two room exhibit area depict the history of the lightstation and its families. The Tower is open for climbing. Present structures built in 1870 and 1905. They were renovated and re-opened in 1985. Bookshop offers readings about the Great Lakes area.
Six miles west of Brimley, on Lakeshore Drive. Open May 15 to October 15. Free admission.
U.S.D.A Forest Service, 12942 W Lakeshore Dr., Brimley, MI 49715. Phone 906-437-5272.
Great Lakes Shipwreck Museum
Dedicated to the perils of maritime transportation on the Great Lakes, the museum is located at Whitefish Point, site of the oldest active lighthouse on Lake Superior. Exhibits tell the story of sailors and ships lost on Lake Superior’s Shipwreck Coast. View the bell of the Edmund Fitzgerald and the film featuring its recover. Tour the fully restored 1861 Lightkeeper’s Quarters and the 1923 restored US Coast Guard Boat House, home to a replica 26’ surfboat. Winner of Governor’s Award for outstanding cultural organization in Michigan.
11 miles north of Paradise, on Whitefish Point Road. Open daily May 1 through October 21.
Great Lakes Shipwreck Historical Society, 111 Ashmun St., Sault Ste. Marie, MI 49783. Phone 800-635-1742. www.shipwreckmuseum.com
Luce County Historical Museum
Jacobsville Sandstone Queen Anne style building constructed in 1894 as Sheriff’s Residence and Jail. Original cells, kitchen, dining room, bedrooms and double parlors; and an old fashioned schoolroom, unique bottle collection, and historic furnishings. Local historic photographs, maps, books and documents. A National Historic Site. 411 West Harrie Street in Newberry. Open mid June to early Sept. Free admission.
Luce County Historical Society, P.O. Box 41, Newberry, MI 49868. Phone 906-293-5709 or 906-293-3786.
Tahquamenon Logging Museum
A complex of several historic buildings, including a Visitor’s Center with memories and pictures of early settlers who timbered our land. There is an authentic cookshack where festivals feature lumber camp meals. Original C.C.C. Building with memorabilia. Boardwalk and Nature Trail on the Tahquamenon River. Gift Shop and Music Pavilion.
On M-123, 1.5 miles north of Newberry. Open Memorial Day to Labor Day.
Tahquamenon Logging Museum, P.O. Box 254, Newberry, MI 49868. Phone 906-293-3700.
Engadine Historical Museum
The museum building reflects life in the community dating back to 1894, focusing on the lumbering and agricultural eras. The first floor reflects furnishings of that time period. The second floor has a replica of a one-room school house, displays of military artifacts, a reading room, pictures, as well as objects from the cooperidge mill, which was the community’s largest employer at the time. The garage has displays of tools, equipment, the old Mackinac County Bank vault, and a clothes washing display. An 1895 og house is now restored and furnished. Gift Shop. Free admission. Located at 14075 W. Melville Street. Take M-117 to blinker, (Melville Street) turn west about three blocks. Open Memorial Day through September.
Engadine Historical Society, P.O. Box 114, Engadine, MI 49827. Phone 906-477-6335 or 906-477-6191.
Memorabilia of early schools, history of Ozark, Trout Lake, and surrounding areas. Ozark School, corner of M-123 & Lovegrove Rd. Call for appointment, Roger & Tammy Gady, 906-569-3339.
Many museums rely on volunteers and hours may vary. Donations are always appreciated.